The translation industry like any industry has its good translators and those who are not so good, so if you need some document translation work carried out it’s a good idea to look at a few possibilities before releasing your dollars
1. Choose a translator who is not a robot, but provides human communication either by phone or email.
2. Choose a professional translation agency that offers a clear explanation of the translation process. Some translators use translation software to complete a job, but you don’t need to know all the technical detail.
3. Choose a professional translation company that is prepared to meet any deadlines you set. This may be of greater importance to you if you are wishing to get regular translation work completed. Bigger firms tend to be more accommodating in this respect as smaller enterprises may not have so many translators available at any one time.
4. Make sure the translator you choose is not simply bilingual. You need a person who has qualified as a translator in his or her first language and is able to adapt a translation to your dialect.
5. Another important matter for you is choosing a translator who has a significant amount of knowledge of your industry. They should be able to show some examples of previous work which will confirm to you that the person is suitably qualified.
6. Only choose a firm that states a thorough proofread of the translation always takes place once the translation has been completed.
7. Make sure the translation firm you select is correctly certified. In Britain there are 2 professional bodies, which are the European Union Associations of Translation Companies (EUATC) and the Association of Translation Companies (ATC). If you are based in Australia, there is the National Accreditation Authority of Translators and Interpreters (NAATI).
8. If you are concerned about the security of your documents, make sure the document translation company you choose has a security certification, such as ISO27001 or ISO9001.
9. Getting testimonials are a great way to check the credibility of a translation company. You can ask your chosen translation services to provide names of clients who are prepared to vouch for them. Don’t depend on a translation company’s website as testimonials in these places aren’t always reliable. The sorts of clients that a translation works with on a regular basis can provide you with a good idea of the standards it follows. For example, government institutions or NGOs with a credible reputation are only likely to work with a good translator.